Slip in Time

My brother lives in the wilderness of Prince William Sound in Alaska with his wife, Lynn. They built a log cabin close to the water and from their deck they watch whales, seals, and bald eagles in their natural habitat. Once or twice a week, large cruise ships pass by and my brother watches people who pay hundreds of dollars to see one time what he sees everyday.

He is a logger and a loner and they very much enjoy the peaceful, rugged, beautiful wilderness they call home. Lynn has been my brother’s anchor for 35 years. She is a constant source of stability and grounding in his life. They love each other deeply.

A few weeks ago, Lynn suffered a stroke that left her unable to walk. She also lost the last 10 years of her memory and her life has slipped 10 years into the past. Obviously, my brother is devastated. He is like a lost puppy without its master. After 35 years of marriage, he has been suddenly forced to face life without his partner and best friend.

My brother was not prepared for what happened. How could he be? But from somewhere deep inside, he is finding strength to go on. He is making the necessary choices and difficult decisions that must be made. He is facing this unexpected challenge and crafting his own new beginning. He is much stronger than I ever gave him credit for and I am proud of his commitment to Lynn, his wife and partner for life. He is living out his marriage vow to love her in sickness and in health.

We spoke the other day by phone. He said, “I hope God gives me another 35 years with Lynn. She is the love of my life and my reason for living.” He continued, “This is tough but God will see me through it.”

His last comment made me cry. You see, until now, my brother hasn’t believed in God. I think there may be another new beginning in his life – one that will reach beyond the difficulties of this life and into eternity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment